25 May 2018

Bookish Feelings from The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth


I visited the National Library of Wales a few weeks ago, and I couldn't not take pictures of these quotes that were printed on the walls.

I can't remember a time when I wasn't obsessed by books. For as long as I can recall, there were always piles and piles of books in my house. And that included a lot of books that belonged to me. I still find it strange that so many people don't read, and don't take enjoyment from books. It was always such a huge part of my childhood, and I just assumed that was the norm for other people too.

I still laugh remembering one incident in particular. My mum would read stories to my sister and I, and one such occasion stands out. She began reading us The Secret Garden for quite possibly the hundredth time, because we basically wore her down until she agreed to do so. And then as soon as she started to read, we recited the first page along with her. I remember her being so angry because we had been so adamant that she should read it to us, and we really didn't need it. But I still don't see it that way. For me, the magic of hearing a story I loved was far more important.

That's how I've always been. My parents are both avid readers, and they both instilled in me the love of reading that I now have. I wouldn't be the same person without all of the books I've read, and my books are some of my greatest friends.



There's just something endearing about different worlds. If you've never fallen in love with a book, you've been reading the wrong ones. I love nothing more than to connect with a character, and follow them in their life for a finite amount of time. It's that sense of escaping reality that so appeals to me. The sense of adventure right from your own home. 

Some books I enjoy, but they don't move me. Some books move me that I don't enjoy. Some are thought-provoking, and some are just a mood-lifter. And some have made a permanent imprint on my heart. But all have made me the person that I am today.

It's so difficult to put into words exactly what books mean to me; what fiction means to me. Every book has a message and a lesson to be learn, and with every book I read I can see the way I grow as a person.


It was while I was at University that I realised that my obsession with books was a lot greater than that of other people. I saw how many books I would read in comparison to my friends, and it genuinely surprised me. A love of books was all I had ever known! 

The day I set up my Goodreads account was pretty much the start of my whole book madness. I rated about 200 books that same day that I had read previously, and even surprised myself by how many of the books I had actually read fairly recently. From this point, it was only a small step towards me setting up this blog. I was just so dissatisfied with the idea that I would finish reading a book and that would be it, unless I chose to read it again. I thought that writing reviews was the perfect way to take myself back to who I was when I read all these books. Reading through some of my early reviews takes me right back to the moment I picked up the stories in the first place. It's funny how your memories can be triggered like that. 

This is something that I'm really glad I decided to do, and fingers crossed circumstances will allow me to carry on writing for this blog for many moons to come. 

Me + Books = <3


No comments: